Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Spinach and Meatball Soup

I struck gold with this "throw what ya got in a pot" mentality in making a meal!

This is a soup that I came up with one evening with my friend Aimee when I looked in her WELL STOCKED fridge and saw several things that needed to be used ASAP. We had just made lasagnas (which were delicious) for a business client of hers and I thought I can make something with this!

It must be the Cuban in me hating to see food going to waste because I thought about what she had and quickly realized I could make an Italian inspired soup with all the fresh ingredients she had on hand.

Aimee gave me her blessing to give it a try and just stepped back and let my do my thing! What a good friend to be a guinea pig. :)

These are the ingredients I used:
onion
garlic
bell pepper
celery
carrots
spinach
oregano
evoo
stock (chicken- b/c that's what she had)
meatballs (she had some frozen, so that's what I went with)

I began with making a standard soup stock. In a pan I softened/lightly browned diced onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic with some evoo. Once softened, I added the liquid stock and brought it to a rolling boil. I then added the diced carrots, oregano, and a bit of black pepper. Several minutes later I added the meatballs. After 10-15 minutes I added the rough chopped spinach to the soup. I gave it another 5 minutes or so and tasted it. I added a dash of salt and it was good to go!

Give it a whirl and let me know how it turned out.
I want to try it with homemade meatballs and beef stock.

Buen provecho!




2 comments:

  1. Chicken stock is the right choice for ITALIAN inspired...if you wanna punch it up a little, throw some chicken bones in some cheese cloth and toss it in the soup! **CUIDADO: sometimes meatballs are made with grain additives so if your goin primal make your own from just egg and beef. That soup sound delicious. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! Seriously!
    I don't know much about real Italian food except what I read from Mario Batali and that's been a while. :)
    Oh, and I appreciate the heads up on the meatballs. I bought a bunch of ground beef to do just that this weekend.
    Question though... do you add any flour (from nuts) to substitute the bread?

    ReplyDelete